Friday, January 18, 2008

A cell phone that’s easy enough for Carol Brady to use


Jan’s left several messages on her mother’s cell phone and hasn’t heard back from her—and she’s going out of her mind with worry. Jan bought her mother a cheerful pink Razor phone for Christmas and she tries not to think the worst as she phones Marcia in a panic.

“Marcia, mom’s not answering her cell phone. I know she’s trapped under something heavy!”

“Don’t worry Jan, everything is fine,” Marcia says. “Mom’s right here with me having coffee.”

“What? I’ve left five messages on her cell phone,” Jan screams. “Why didn’t she return my calls?”

Marcia hands the phone to Carol.

“Hi honey,” Carol says. “I’m fine. But I’m afraid my new cell phone is smarter than me. I don’t know how to check messages—I don’t even know when I have a message. I can’t read the numbers on the buttons—they’re too small.”

“But mom, I showed you how to use it nine times,” Jan says.

“I know honey,” Carol says. “It’s just too complicated.”

“But what if there’s an emergency? What if you trip and fall like the time Alice sprained her ankle on Chinese checkers?” Jan asks.

“Don’t worry honey,” Carol says. “Marcia just gave me a shiny new Jitterbug phone and it’s perfect! It’s simple to use, easy to see, and easy to hear—it’s so easy even Alice will be able to use it—and I don’t have to worry about confusing contracts.”

Jan’s furrowed brow grows deeper as she hangs up the phone. Why didn’t she know about the Jitterbug before Marcia? Jan takes a deep breath and repeats her life’s mantra in her head: “I will try to remember that being average isn’t so bad. I will try to remember that being average isn’t so bad. I will try to remember that being average isn’t so bad.” Sigh.

If you have aging parents or—like Jan—are part of the sandwich generation where you take care of kids as well as aging parents, it’s time to get a Jitterbug.

2 comments:

Sheila said...

Poor Jan!!! Carol is ALWAYS with Marcia isn't she??

Mary said...

yes--Carol doesn't take her call.